Monday, January 3, 2011

Much has been made of Usman Khawaja's international debut, making him the first Muslim to play test cricket for Australia.
Pakistan-born Usman Khawaja is the first Muslim to represent Australia 
in test cricket. (Greg Wood/Getty Images)
Commentators have talked about the Pakistan-born batsman being a pioneer and a trailblazer for the next generation of cricketers in a country where the bulk of test cricket recruits have come from Anglo-Saxon stock.

Former test opener Justin Langer has praised Khawaja's talent, and stand-in test captain Michael Clarke has commended his attitude.

The 24-year-old Khawaja doesn't think his background elevates his achievement above most test debuts.

"Not really. It's probably being the first Pakistani-born to play for Australia is probably more [significant] than my religious beliefs because they're quite personal to me," the stylish left-hander said. "You can make something up of anything."

He even made reference to left-arm spinner Michael Beer, who was also selected to make his debut in the fifth Ashes test against England on Monday.

"You can say Michael Beer is the first person who sticks his tongue out 24-7 to play for Australia," Khawaja joked.

Khawaja's debut innings of 37 was memorable for its start. With Australia struggling at 55-1 after Phil Hughes' dismissal off the ball before lunch, he hit Chris Tremlett for two and pulled the England paceman for four with his first two deliveries in the international arena.

"As soon as I got out there, it just felt like the best thing ever," Khawaja said. "I was playing for Australia and the crowd was right behind me, so it was awesome."

He raced to 15 from eight deliveries, before settling into his role as a No. 3 batsman in test cricket — something no other batsman on debut has done for Australia since Justin Langer in 1993.

"I had a ball out there. It was a good start — got all the anxiousness out of my system," he said. "I was just loving being out there in the middle."



He was out last ball of a rain-shortened day, top-edging an attempted sweep of Graeme Swann as Australia slipped to 134-4 on the opening day.

Khawaja didn't intend to make a statement with his first touch in test cricket, but was happy with the way things transpired.

"I was pretty much playing each ball as it came," he said. "I wanted to get off the mark, first thing.

"Lucky, it happened first ball. Next ball, I hit a four, let my shoulders drop after that.

"I didn't really have a plan of going out that hard. It just ended up being that way."

The dominant batsman in domestic cricket for the last two seasons, Khawaja has been on the fringe of test selection for six months, since he was added to the squad as a standby for the series against Pakistan in England.

But he had to wait for his chance, which came when regular captain Ricky Ponting was ruled out with a broken left finger. Ponting has long occupied the No. 3 spot in Australia's order and has scored more than 12,000 runs and posted 39 centuries in 152 tests since 1995.

At 36, however, Ponting is getting close to the end of his international career.

Not that Khawaja is taking anything for granted.

"Obviously, I'd love to have a long test career. Obviously, I'd like to play cricket, especially for Australia, as long as possible," he said. "But I'm taking Ricky Ponting's spot, who is probably the greatest Australian batsman bar Don Bradman, so I'm just enjoying this test match right now and trying to savour everything I can."

The quietly spoken Khawaja, who was born in Islamabad but moved to western Sydney as a child with his family, has been successful outside cricket, qualifying as an aeronautical engineer and pilot.

But it's on the field where he really wants his reputation to soar. His contact with the Australian team started four years ago in Sydney, when Australia wrapped up a 5-0 sweep of the Ashes series and Langer, Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath retired from test cricket.

"Pretty surreal. Four years ago was the retirement of langer, Warne, McGrath and Australia won five-zip in the Ashes, and I was there doing 13th man all five days," the former Australia Under-19 batsman said. "It was a good test to be at.

"I took a lot away from it, and I was just putting out drinks. It was quite a surreal feeling when I was actually playing in a Sydney test match four years later. I totally forgot about it until yesterday … I still have to pinch myself sometimes."

0 comments:

Post a Comment