Saturday, February 19, 2011

After CBS correspondent Serene Branson's frightening on-air lapse into slurred and incomprehensible speech during a post-Grammy newscast Sunday night, neurologists offered an array of potential diagnoses. Was it a stroke? An epileptic seizure? Or the isolated "mini-stroke" episode known as a transient ischemic attack?

None of the above. It turns out that Branson suffered a "migraine aura"--a speech and sensory-impairing side effect of certain severe headaches--according to Dr. Andrew Charles, director of UCLA's Headache Research and Treatment Program, who treated the Emmy-nominated entertainment reporter following the unfortunate episode.

"She has no residual symptoms. I expect this not to be a significant problem for her moving forward," Charles told the Los Angeles Times.

Branson, who works for a local Los Angeles CBS affiliate, appeared on Friday's CBS "Early Show" in the first TV interview she's given since the Grammys broadcast. You can watch the video below:



"I knew something wasn't right as soon as I opened my mouth," Branson told "Early Show" co-host Erica Hill. "I hadn't been feeling well a little bit before the live shot. I had a headache, my vision was very blurry. I knew something wasn't right, but I just thought I was tired. So when I opened my mouth, I thought, 'This is more than just being tired. Something is terribly wrong.' I wanted to say, 'Lady Antebellum swept the Grammys.' And I could think of the words, but I could not get them coming out properly."

0 comments:

Post a Comment